The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Health Resort is an exceptional medical centre, unique world-wide, which performs therapeutic procedures in underground mining excavations.
The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Health Resort provides medical services in the saline treatment chambers on level III of the mine (135 meters underground). The specific microclimate facilitates the healing process: the air, thanks to the natural properties of salt, is devoid of any pollutants and allergens, rich in microelements, maintained at a constant temperature, high humidity and free of harmful radiation.
Patients staying underground are under the care of doctors specialists, nurses and physiotherapists. The descents for underground treatments take place via a recently renovated Regis Shaft, built originally in the fourteenth century, equipped with a modern elevator and opened for visitors in 2012.
The Health Resort’s operations are based on the best contemporary models of medicine and in cooperation with leading scientists. Mainly persons benefit suffering chronic and recurring ailments of the upper respiratory system, such as:
• atopic and non-atopic asthma
• chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder - COPD
• pollen allergy during the symptomatic period
• chronic sinusitis, laryngeal
• chronic noncommunicable bronchitis and pneumonia
• recurring rhinitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis.
As part of the Mine’s own program for active pulmonary rehabilitation in the “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Health Resort the following are currently conducted:
• breathing path correction workshops (teaching correct, deep breathing with diaphragm path)
• kinesiotherapeutic exercises strengthening respiratory muscles
• loosening and relaxation exercises (used for reducing anxiety states connected with the disease and building a positive body image)
• teaching effective coughing techniques and how to overcome shortness of breath
• clearing the bronchial system
• teaching positions applied during asthma attacks.
Moreover during treatment tours, there are workshops and lectures conducted regarding: factors increasing illness symptoms, self-monitoring the course of illness (e.g. for asthma,
teaching how to perform PEF measurements at home), recommendations for life style changes and changes at work for patients returning home after the tour.
Rehabilitation and treatment tours are conducted in the treatment chambers complex. Treatment stays last 6 hours a day on work days (there are no tours on the weekends). There are two tours organized per day: from 8.00 am to 2.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 8.00 pm. The treatment is available to both adults as well as children 4 years of age (under the care of an adult).
We also offer:
• Daily health stays
• A Day for Health – tours lasting from one to a few days consisting of 6-hour preventive and health treatment tours underground
• Three Hours for Health – a three hour stay in the Health Resort under the individual care of a physiotherapist
• Healthy Sleep – 12-hour preventive and health overnight stays in the Stajnia Gor Wschodnich Chamber (prior reservations necessary)
• Preventive Programs for organized groups (at least 10 participants, prior reservations necessary)
• Visiting the underground treatment centre.
The Health Resort would like to invite its guests to enjoy the following services offered in the historical building of the “Salt Mill” on the surface:
• Physiotherapeutic treatments (lasers, electrotherapy, magnetic field, light therapy, medical and relaxation massages, treatment gymnastics, etc.).
• Consultations offered by specialist doctors (pulmonologist, optometrist, or medical rehabilitation doctor).
• A full range of diagnostic tests (all types of blood and urine tests, resting EKG, exercise tests, spirometry, measuring nitrogen oxide content in expired air, pulse oximetry, audiometry, etc.).
• Skin care treatments performed by qualified cosmetologists.
• Medical and relaxation massages performed by highly specialized medical staff.
• Our patients may enjoy the accommodation either in the “Salt Mill” Guest Rooms located in the direct vicinity of the Danilowicz Shaft and the picturesque Kinga Park as well as in the luxurious rooms in the Grand Sal**** Hotel.