The ‘Wieliczka’ Salt Mine Health Resort is an exceptional, unique on the worldwide scale medical centre which conducts its treatment activities in underground mining excavations carved
from rock salt: chambers ‘The Wessel Lake’ and ‘Eastern Mountains’ Stable’ located on the 3rd level of the ‘Wieliczka’ Salt Mine, 135 meters under the ground surface. For treatment the Health Resort
uses, most of all, specific microclimate of natural salt chambers with air which – due to special properties of rock salt – is free from pollution and allergens, rich in microelements, with constant
and stable temperature (approx. 13°C), high humidity (80-90%), free from harmful radiation.
The Health Resort’s treatment program of active exercises enables increasing the speed of breathing (stimulated by physical effort) and the amount of inhaled air. The amount of aerosol inhaled inside the mine is approx. 10 times bigger than in case of staying in a seaside health resort or a spa with graduation towers. In the chemical composition of the aerosol can be found mainly sodium chloride (24 mg per 1 cubic meter of air), as well as – but in far smaller quantities – calcium and magnesium. Beneficial for the human organism air ionization which is favourable for wellbeing, improves the psychic and physiological performance, has good influence on lungs and heart, stimulates oxidation processes in the organism and increases immunity. Air ionization inside the mine is greater than ionization on the surface and can be place within ranges of air ionization which are optimal for the organism, which is due to high purity of underground air.
In the place where a new way of treatment – subterraneotherapy – was born, up to now active pulmonary rehabilitation in conducted and enhanced by the impact of healing properties of underground salt surroundings. Our patients stay in the underground under supervision of specialist doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and music therapists. Descends into the underground take place at the Regis (Royal) shaft drifted in the 14th century which was newly renovated and equipped with a modern lift – the shaft was re-opened in 2012.
The ‘Wieliczka’ Salt Mine Health Resort treats such diseases of the respiratory tract as:
• bronchial asthma (atopic and non-atopic),
• allergic asthma,
• pollen allergies,
• chronic allergic catarrh, quinsy,
• sinuses inflammations,
• allergic skin diseases (eczemas) in the polling season, and more.
The treatment uses the natural underground microclimate, and also physiotherapeutic exercises and elements of music therapy and relaxation. Patients learn during specially designed
program of treatment, e.g. how to overcome an attack of asthma, tackle breathlessness, breathe deeply with the use of the diaphragm, perform the toilet of the bronchial tree, do exercises strengthening
breathing muscles, auto-control the development of asthma etc. – which is very useful for the period after the treatment. This profile of pulmonary treatment is addressed not only to increasing number
of people who suffer from respiratory tract diseases, but also aims at prevention: diminishing the level of people getting ill because of both environmental factors (air pollution, contamination with
allergens) and civilisation factors (stress and fatigue which can trigger, or worsen, such conditions as asthma). This is also the offer for healthy people who want to know more about prophylactics
of respiratory tract diseases and get acquainted with elements of relaxation techniques that can be very useful for getting rid of stress present in hectic daily life.
In the underground, treatment sessions are conducted in two unusual, ancient mining excavations carved out in rock salt by hand tools, namely:
• chamber the ‘Wessel Lake’ with a picturesque brine lake where take place 17-day treatment periods (daily stays only for 6,5 hours a day). Both adults and children (starting from the age of 4) can be admitted here. More active profile of exercises.
• chamber the ‘Eastern Mountains’ Stable’ with a modern salt graduation tower, small gym, reading room with a library, and comfortable beds in the night-stay part where take place 21-day treatment periods focused more on relaxation and music therapy. Daily (6,5 hours) and nightly stays (12 hours, 1 night stay per week). Chamber for adult patients only.
We also offer:
• 7-day treatment stay programs
• Day for health – 1-day prophylactic-treatment descends into the mine for 6,5 hours
• Healthy Sleep program – 12-hour prophylactic-treatment night stays in the chamber ‘Eastern Mountains’ Stable’ organized always on the night from Friday to Saturday, pre-booking needed
• Prophylactic programs for organized groups (min. number of participants is 10): “Deep Relaxation”, “Health Lesson in the ‘Wieliczka’ Salt Mine”, and also night stays with a disco for school groups
• Tour of the underground facilities of the ‘Wieliczka’ Salt Mine Health Resort
In the building on the surface – The Salt Mill – the Health Resort offers a wide range of:
• Physiotherapeutic procedures such as e.g. laser therapy, therapy using different kinds of currents, local cryotherapy, magnetic therapy, light therapy, therapeutic and relaxation massages, treatment gymnastics
• Consultations with doctors of various specializations, e.g. pulmonologist, allergologist, doctor of medical rehabilitation
• Full range of diagnostic tests (spirometry, measuring the level of nitric oxide in exhaled air, all possible kinds of blood and urine tests, ECG, audiometry etc.)
• Skin care procedures conducted by a highly-accomplished cosmetologist.